Health & Fitness, Pole Dancing, Weight Loss

Pole/Fitness Goals 2015

22nd February 2015
polegoals

Yes I know, late to the party and only 53 days post new year, but I don’t think it’s ever too late to set some personal goals. Let me say right now, I’m no gym bunny, but I’m no couch potato either. I’m pretty damn proud that I’ve gone from 14st 7lbs to 12st so far. It took me about 3 years to do that but the main thing is that I’ve maintained it ever since and I am now fitter and stronger than ever.

A photo posted by Saffy (@thisgirlpoles) on

Now it’s time to turn it up a notch. Most people who know me know that I pole dance. I’ve never felt hindered by my weight but I know that if I really want to go from being ‘average’ to ‘awesome’ it’s going to take some serious training. So here in are my goals and how I’m going to go about achieving them!

Splits
I started splits training over a year ago now and even managed to get my front splits (see below). Unfortunately due to inconsistency I keep losing them again! So, my goal is to splits train at least 3 times a week and have both solid front and box splits by the end of the year.

A photo posted by Saffy (@thisgirlpoles) on

Weight
I do have a healthy BMI for my height/weight, but I’m right on the borderline. My goal is to lose another stone which would bring me to a very comfortable 11st. But I know from previous experience that too much focus on the end goal can make the journey seem like a slog. You have to set yourself little mini markers along the way. We’re heading into the last week of Feb and my 31st birthday is in 2 weeks. So I’m going to set a mini goal of losing 4 lbs by then. I’ve already bought a new skirt as my reward and incentive and I really don’t want to return it!!

Pole Dancing
So really all my fitness goals are ultimately aimed at making me a better pole dancer. At the end of last year I did my first public performance (it was so nerve wracking I almost cried beforehand!!) Funny enough I felt amazing afterwards so much so that I’d love to enter some competitions this year (beginner/inter categories of course). So there are a ‘few’ moves that I’m aiming to nail this year just to name a few:

• Jade Split
  • Russian Layback
  • Broken Doll
  • Left (weak) side air invert
  • Left (weak) side outside leg hang
  • Phew, I guess I better get off the interwebs and get practising!

6 Comments

• Reply fashion-mommy 22nd February 2015 at 6:07 pm

I think you’ve done really well so far and agree it is a good thing to set goals.

#UKBloggers

• Reply Safia 22nd February 2015 at 6:17 pm

Yep, goals are the way to go! Thanks for stopping by :) x

• Reply Fuss Free Helen 22nd February 2015 at 6:15 pm

Pole dancing is astonishingly athletic which I think that many people simply do not realise.

I’ve started a gym regime for the first time in years and I feel so much better for it in two weeks. Well done on how far you have come!

• Reply Safia 22nd February 2015 at 6:20 pm

The PD community is growing and we’re slowly changing stereotypes but I think it will still take some work. And way to go on gyming! Whenever I’m feeling a bit lazy I just try to remind myself of that awesome feeling post workout and that gets me off my arse. Wishing you lots of happy workouts x

• Reply Emma 7th March 2015 at 4:00 am

Hi from #WeekendBlogHop!

I am so excited to see that you pole dance! It’s the only workout I’ve ever enjoyed enough to stick with. I’ve been taking classes since 2008 and LOOVE it :) It not only tones me up, it’s a huge confidence booster — which a lot of people don’t realize. Those two things have been my main reasons for going back after my pregnancies.

I’m itching to do a public performance. Those are also nerve wracking for me, but I always feel awesome once I’m done!

Good luck on your goals. I’m waiting to test up to the next level at my studio and then I think I’ll be learning (and relearning) at least a few of the moves you listed above. :)

• Reply Safia 7th March 2015 at 10:11 pm

Hi Emma!! Thanks so much for your comment, it’s always great to hear from a fellow poler and blogger. I’m exactly the same. I’ve tried all sorts of other activities but nothing has held my attention (or made me so obsessed) like pole dancing has. I love that feeling as well when you finally crack a move. It doesn’t matter if it took 1 year or only 1 hour, that moment of awesomeness is unbeatable. Good luck with testing up, I’m rooting for you!! :) x